The Canadian Centre for Ethics & Corporate Policy presents a panel on ‘Ethical Issues in Tourism and Hospitality During the Pandemic.’
The Americas and Asia Pacific regions show increased hotel pipeline activity
Two of the four world regions, the Americas and Asia Pacific, showed a year-over-year increase in hotel pipeline activity at the end of the first quarter, according to March 2022 data from STR.
March 2022 (per cent changes in comparison with March 2021)
- In Construction: 226,597 rooms (-12.2 per cent)
- Final Planning: 158,057 rooms (-12.7 per cent)
- Planning: 164,690 rooms (+5.8 per cent)
- Total Under Contract: 549,344 (-7.7 per cent)
Germany (42,712) and the U.K. (31,796) lead Europe in total rooms in construction.
- In Construction: 482,689 rooms (+4.3 per cent)
- Final Planning: 147,854 rooms (-19.3 per cent)
- Planning: 315,956 rooms (+16.9 per cent)
- Total Under Contract: 946,499 rooms (+3.3 per cent)
Among countries in the region, China has the most rooms in construction (301,879), followed by Vietnam (32,804).
Middle East & Africa
- In Construction: 126,860 rooms (-10.6 per cent)
- Final Planning: 37,830 rooms (-17.2 per cent)
- Planning: 69,398 rooms (+29.6 per cent)
- Total Under Contract: 234,088 (-2.9 per cent)
Saudi Arabia (38,181) and United Arab Emirates (30,367) lead in construction activity.
- In Construction: 207,018 rooms (-14.0 per cent)
- Final Planning: 209,353 rooms (-17.7 per cent)
- Planning: 346,277 rooms (+30.3 per cent)
- Total Under Contract: 762,648 (+0.3 per cent)
The U.S. holds the majority of rooms in construction in the region. After the U.S., Mexico (14,317) and Brazil (7,080) have the highest number of rooms in construction in the region.